Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Forums are like crack cocaine

I keep doing it, I don't know why. It's not good for my mental health and yet I persist.
The studio keeps me busy. Customers walk out with big smiles and a great audio product. I've been recording now for more years than I care to think about and in that time learned one or two things.

So, due to a leg operation I find myself with a lot of free time on my hands and decide to post some comments on audio forums in the hope of speeding up the learning process for a few good people.
Mostly what you get back is nitpicking from people that seem to be looking for any minor point they can find disagreement with. Why? Do they somehow feel that it boosts their own credibility. If you were new to the audio game then all this argument is bound to cause confusion.

Recently I put forward the point that blowing big money on an expensive preamp is pointless untill you reach the limitations of more accesable gear. Training your ears takes time and until you can truly say that you are recording the best possible sound with what you've got then your better off investing in a wider choice of microphones etc..

All I got back was the argument that I must think that all the reviewers of high end preamps are idiots !!! HUH !!!!
Totally missed the point of what I was saying.

So that's it.. I give up. Let them bun fight about minor technicalities of each others posts.
I'm going cold turkey and back into the studio to make more money and good music.

No comments: