Monday, August 25, 2008

First thoughts

I've been planning on doing this for ages but time is money so it took a damaged knee to get this started.
I've been recording audio now for over 20 years and in that time learned a few things.
Some from experience, some from education. Very little from recording forums (more on that later).

Yes, I have recorded and Mastered commercial releases. No, I'm not god's gift to the audio industry. I have, however, built up enough practical experience to think that what I have to say may be of some use to somebody.

It occurs to me that the problem with a lot of audio forums is that the people offering advice are no better than those looking for it. Lot's of holier than thou attitude and equipment bias that can be more of a hinderance than a help.
The reality of recording is this..."Use your ears". Don't ask people how a spectral analysis should look for good music ! Compressors, E.Q. and reverbs all have one thing in common. They rely on YOU for the creative effect.
Play around with them, find out what sounds good, what sounds bad and why...


No comments: